Become a Teaching Fellow
Teach Breakthroughs. Inspire Hope.
Teaching Fellows are currently-enrolled college students and a pillar of our program at Breakthrough. Teaching Fellows are educators-as-superheroes, empowering and uplifting middle schoolers as diverse, talented role models. All the while bolstering their own future careers through an immersive and meaningful internship.
The Teaching Fellow Advantage:
- Get hands-on teaching experience coached by professional educators
- Join a group of inspiring peers equally committed to social justice, education and service
- Develop leadership through our unique near-peer teaching program
- Pave the way for future academic and career success
- Be an inspiration to your community
Who is eligible to apply?
Undergraduate college students of all majors and for those who intend to pursue careers in education, as well as those who haven’t yet considered it. Education coursework is not a prerequisite.
Teaching fellows must be committed to the entire nine-week summer experience, and they must be committed to personal growth and comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
We celebrate the diversity of our community, and we seek undergraduate applicants from diverse backgrounds and life experiences.
What happens in the nine-week summer experience?
During the nine-week residency (June 13 to August 12, 2022), Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia Teaching Fellows will complete over 300 hours of service, including teaching and leadership training. We provide stipends to all of our Teaching Fellows.
Teaching Fellows have the opportunity to practice skills that prepare them for the classroom or other professional settings. They:
- Learn lesson planning, classroom management, instructional strategies, feedback techniques, and other essential learning tools
- Teach core academic classes (math, science, writing, literature) and co-curricular classes (e.g., world languages, dance, art, sports, capoeira)
- Receive regular coaching from professional educators
- Lead family conferences and participate in team meetings
- Build meaningful relationships with students as a role model
- Collaborate with colleagues in a challenging, fun, and supportive environment
- Work with a diverse group of highly motivated students, staff, and teachers who share a passion for growth, education, and service
- Learn how to receive and deliver actionable feedback
- Sharpen presentation skills, time management and project planning
No kidding. The Teaching Fellow experience is truly life-changing, for the fellows themselves and for the students they inspire.
Featured Teaching Fellow, Azure
"Going into my senior year at Temple, I wondered if becoming a teacher was my ultimate career goal, or if there may be a different career for me in other areas of the education field. And what better way to figure it out than to get in a classroom? Breakthrough stood out to me because I felt like their mission embraced some of that uncertainty, and encouraged Fellows not just to teach their students, but to learn from their students as well. My biggest goal this summer is to make new friends with my coworkers, and make lasting, quality connections with my students."
This is a common theme amongst many of our Teaching Fellows and are the building blocks of how Breakthrough yearns to serve future educators. Azure is a remarkable young student who has been able to see how rewarding being an educator can be. These stories power Breakthrough’s mission and we couldn't be more honored and grateful to have amazing volunteers like Azure.