Dean of Faculty
Dean of Faculty
Instruction and Assessment Manager
Position Announcement and Job Description
The (DOF) Instruction and Assessment Manager oversees academic curriculum and assessment implementation for Breakthrough’s middle school students. This role ensures consistent assessment procedures and standards across multiple program sites in accordance with Breakthrough’s strategic programmatic plans, and shares responsibility with the Program Manager to supervise program staff in implementing the same.
The Instruction and Assessment Manager also functions as an Instructional Coach during weekly program, supporting an expansive curriculum with volunteer Teaching Fellows who are working with middle students. Instructional support will be provided to both traditional classrooms with an intensive Social Studies/Writing/Public Speaking component and flipped classrooms with Financial Literacy, Health and Wellness, and Career Exploration courses. Instructional Coaches help prepare, train, supervise, and mentor our college student Teaching Fellows; their work is essential to our students’ and Teaching Fellows’ success. This position would work with novice teachers during our Saturday program at Germantown Friends School.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Academic Program Leadership
- Promote strategies and programs to positively impact student persistence, increase enrollment and involvement in Breakthrough’s program
- Oversee the implementation of a cohesive academic enrichment with measurable outcomes for Breakthrough’s middle students
- Oversee the implementation of a cohesive teacher training model modified to serve the needs of Breakthrough’s teaching fellows, instructional coaches, and administrative staff
- Plan and lead the design of materials and trainings to ensure the professional development and training of program staff on matters related to curriculum and assessment
- Supervises staff implementation of programs and policies which support the delivery of curriculum and consistency of assessments across all sites
- Evaluates program staff in conjunction with the Program Manager
- Create positive work and site culture, and ensure team satisfaction
- Create and maintain the attendance structure and process.
Key Instructional Duties
- Serve as a content resource to assist in the development and implementation of site instructional plans that align to program goals and curriculum
- Work with Breakthrough leadership to design and provide professional development aligned to the Breakthrough Instructional Model focused on improving alignment and delivery of the written, taught, and tested curriculum to increase student/teaching fellow success
- Work with teaching fellows to analyze student data, diagnose instructional needs, and identify research-based instructional strategies to ensure student success
- Provide job-embedded professional development for teaching fellows through modeling engaging, standards-based teaching as needed
- Provide individual and/or group instructional coaching and mentoring to teachers to improve classroom instruction for all learners
- Conduct teacher observations and/or walk-throughs and provide feedback that facilitates teaching fellow reflection and growth according to the Breakthrough Instructional Model in conjunction with the IC
- Work with Breakthrough leadership and teaching fellows in adapting standards-based lessons aligned to the program curriculum.
- Manage and distribute instructional resources to teachers and provide training on the use of those resources
- Encourage and support the implementation of technology and innovative strategies in the classroom
- Develop, monitor, and implement teaching fellow intervention plans in conjunction with Breakthrough leadership as needed
- Facilitate grade wide meetings
- Serve as a technology resource for the teaching fellows.
- Communicate with parents about their child’s progress
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field required
- Master’s degree preferred
- Valid Pennsylvania Instructional Certificate Required
- At least five years of successful teaching experience
- Experience in development, preparation, and presentation of professional development
- Experience as an Instructional Coach, Master Teacher, Curriculum Advisor or equivalent role working with Novice educators
- Ability to positively engage and motivate a variety of audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to support with Instructional and Classroom Management strategies across multiple disciplines including Social Studies/Writing and related non-traditional classroom subjects
- Proficient with technology including Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, as well as Google Drive
- Strong desire to learn and grow professionally
- Breakthrough is a fast-paced, needs-responsive environment. The standard schedule for this position will be
Tuesday through Saturday.
- Hourly Rate: $25
- Anticipated Commitment: 16 hours per week, including 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. on Saturdays
TO APPLY: Submit resume, cover letter and recent writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate Instruction and Assessment Manager Search in the subject line.
About Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia
Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia launches talented students, beginning in middle school, on a path to college success and inspires outstanding college students to pursue careers in education.
Breakthrough increases educational opportunity by focusing on the development of both students and teachers. Through academic enrichment and college preparation, Breakthrough prepares students who have limited educational opportunities to attend and succeed at competitive high schools and four-year colleges. Simultaneously, Breakthrough develops future educators by providing professional teaching experiences to college students through its selective residency programs. Breakthrough Philadelphia is part of a national educational movement called The Breakthrough Collaborative, which operates in 26 cities across the country.
Nondiscrimination policy: It is the policy and practice of this Corporation to assure that no person will be discriminated against or be denied the benefits of any activity or educational program and not to discriminate against any person on the grounds of race, color, creed, religious belief, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical disability or blindness and or sex, except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification.
With respect to its governing body and employees, it is the policy and practice of this Corporation to assure that no person will be discriminated against or be denied the benefits of any activity program or employment process in the areas of recruiting, hiring, upgrading, promoting, transferring, demoting, lay-offs, terminations, rehiring, employment and/or rates of pay and other compensations.